Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Life As I See It - Writing in My Journal

I guess taking a cue from watchin the cartoon Doug (the one the Nickelodeon, before they switched it to Disney Doug on ABC), I felt like I should also write in my personal journal as well. Its funny since a few of my closest friends think that the main character Doug, is how I would be like in real life. I'll touch on a few points later comparing my life to Douglas Yancey Funnie, a dude in a cartoon.

I started writing in my journal back in summer of 1998, just before I went down to California to visit my cousins down there. I used it as a tool for my to recall the events that would occur while I was down there, something as simple as going to the store and gettin a bite to eat, and how the day went, such as playing video games to doing something a little different from the mundane typical day. At first I would write it in cursive, but as the days would go by writing in this style was more a pain than I originally anticipated, so at some point I just wrote in plain letters, in my normal writing style.

Not that I haven't noticed before, but I knew I had horrible penmanship. Guess for me, I never took the time and effect to improve on my handwriting, and even today, it looks like my handwriting was written by a elementary school kid, crooked alignment, letters all over the points. Many call it "writing with your feet" or "chicken scratch". Doug also has handwriting that looks like chicken scratch as well, when he lost his journal and his classmate Roger tried to read it, but couldn't make it out. I used a few of those sprinal bound notebook and dont plan on losing them, but not goin to worry too much if someone else gets it since I'm sure it wouldn't make much sense to them, if they were able to get past the bad writing.

 Another thing that change over time while writing in my journal is tryin to shorthand or abbreviate words, which was a precursor to text-talk, such as using the number 2 for to, and so on and so forth. Over time, after getting through the AZN Pride phrase, if you want to call it that, I found it to be quite silly really, and just started to write out the whole word. I never at any point also didn't write like [ iT aLl BoUtZ ViEt-Nam-Mez], shit throws me off just tryin to write like that.

 I would spend a few moments, thinking about what to write down aloud before writing it down on paper. Doug would narrate his thoughts to explain the story and get the episode goin. Once I get goin, I tend to ramble on and write much more than I thought I would, but it helps get it out of my head and on to something more tangle.

I have a pretty decent memory on events that have happened to me in my life. Like most people, some of the most memorable moments are so vivid, you can still recall the details of that moment, when it happen, what actions you did at that point, no matter how long it has been since that event took place. I write in great length about those moments, so it enhance the particulars of my memory of that moment, and be like "oh yeah, that happened too". It also help relive those forgotten moments, I guess you would call those suppressed memories since you brain can't store it all for you, so you forget about it until something triggers and you be like "damn".

I tend not to write much about my innermost, personal, emotional thoughts and feelings except for a few journal cause I feel it isn't needed, as the details will convey my mood at that time. I not the type in that I could articulate my feelings as to why I feel the various emotions like happy-mad-sad-confused sort of thing . Doug might touch up on his thoughts, but if I do, it more a reflection after the fact.


Part TWO is coming soon, realized that I probably did too much for those that actually spend time to check out the blog to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment